Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Another Friday Night?

The simplistic reality about Christmas break, spring break, and generally all breaks from the usual tedium of life is that time seems to meld together as a extraordinary routine sets in that allows one to dawdling away life's precious moments. Funny enough, I feel like I'm still wasting away as it is already Friday and already one week of the new semester is over. I felt the emergence of some sort of grades warranted a blog post and so I do write this, but first to catch you up since the 19th.

The 19th was the first day of classes and as I mentioned not much occurred... Since then the routine is slowly kicking into gear and perhaps I'll be able to set into it without a delay. I've already bombed two separate questions from Professor Swank and apart from that I'm enjoying my classes immensely. Criminal Law, if the pattern continues, will definitely be the highlight of the week. The professor is nearly, if not just as much, animated as our contracts professor was and seems to have a real excitement about the subject. Both of these in my opinions make for great teachers and professors. Civil Procedure is the same course as last semester. I make attempts to grasp the material and those attempts always seem to come up short when I need them the most. That is okay as I plan to work much harder in Civil Procedure then I have been. Constitutional Law to put simply is too early to judge. Although I'm currently enjoying the professor, I haven't been able to make up my mind about him yet so we shall see about him.... We shall see... Torts, I'm assuming will be Torts. Which is to say, a decently entertainingly class that I hope to do well in.

And with that time for grades. For this semester I received a small straight (my family likes to play yahzee, although it is not my favorite game). That would be a B+, B, B-, and C+. I'm fairly happy with those grades and the only one that is slightly disappointing is the C+. The C+ was in contracts which was one of my favorite classes and the one I thought I knew the best. The best laid plans of mice (because men don't have a lot to do with it). The B+ came in Torts which I did originally feel very good about and the B in property which I too felt very good about. In both those classes, coming into the test, I felt I had a good grasp of the material and I feel my efforts were rewarded. The B- came in Civil Procedure and is actually a slight relief. Although, I finished the test quite quickly, I struggled mightily with Civil Procedure and before the actual test was started I would have predicted it to be my worst. A lot of listening and some reading went into improving the score in the night and day leading up to the test and I feel very proud of that simple B-.

My overall assessment of the semester is one of mixed feelings. Up to this point in my life academics have never been a struggle before. I've never had to work hard for my grades and so I never did. My GPA in high school and in my undergrad reflect that. When I took classes seriously I got A's and when I didn't, I passed with some grade in between an A or a C-. So for the first time it was a feeling of disappointment when I opened the webpage and discovered so many B's, and a C, that I had worked quite hard to achieve. As many individual's, including my mother, have commented this is truly the first time I have been graded on a curve with individuals as dedicated as myself. Thus the age old saying is true. 90% of you can't be in the top 10% of the class.

Overall, I will walk away from these grades happy about what I've achieved over the last few years. Last year I was an undergrad at Utah (living away from home for the first time on someone else's dime), two years ago I was an undergrad (living at home and working far too many hours then I should have), three years ago a senior at Uintah (who lived with his neighbors for a few months in order to finish out the year) and four years ago a Junior (who played basketball, sang in highlights, and took far too many college classes). Truly, I've been blessed to make it this far without too many major scars, emotional or physical.

As I plan to get caught up in the new semester, hopefully I will remember to post with regularity that will make myself and ya'll (for those who are not aware, ya'll is an Oklahoman word which can be used in place of a pronoun, or even a noun, it can be used to signify a group, "Once ya'll come around the corner," or even an individual, "How ya'll doin'?") proud. Although it is Friday night, I know this because I looked at the calendar, I plan to head to bed now so I can catch up on my reading in the Book of Mormon. I just started Mosiah and I am currently 27% of the way through the book again having started this session on December 20th. I am currently 6% behind schedule so hopefully I can catch 1 or 2% of that up tonight.

One Love

No comments:

Post a Comment