Written in a style in which one might write a journal, or diary. Law Tyro is about the random thoughts of a random individual as he grows up. Currently chronicling his second year of law school with thoughts and impression mixed in with historical fact.
Monday, October 3, 2011
64th Week
Hello Family!
I hope you all enjoyed conference this last weekend. I loved it and that is for sure. It was the highlight of a more difficult week but those things happen and we just have to bounce back and be better. I'm learning that failure or difficulties are opportunities to grow and to be better if we allow them, or they become stumbling blocks that allow us to wallow in despair. I choose faith.
Choosing faith has been the theme for my time in Nickerie. Before I got here, I allowed myself too often to allow fears, doubts, or pain to dictate my attitude, work, or emotions. So when I came here with Elder Bell (former companion) we made it a go to choose faith in everything that we did. Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. If we could do it there we certainly could do it tracting, teaching, and baptising. In doing so I've seen so many miracles and wonderful events that have made me truly appreciate the Lord's hand in my life. I was actually reflecting on a scriptures not too long along and wanted to share some inspiration that I had.
In Alma 32:27 Alma tells us: Maar zi, indien gij uw vermoges wil opwekken en wakker schudden, ja, om mijn woorden te beproeven, en een sprankje geloof wilt oefenen -- ja, al kunt gij niet meer doen dan verlangen te geloven -- laat dat verlangen dan in u werken todat gij zo gelooft dat gij plaats kunt inruimen voor een deel van mijn woorden. (Only have my dutch with me)
He tells us that if we can't believe that we just have to desire and to let that desire work within us. I thought that meant that we just had to have a desire within us for a long time. I'm started to believe that this scripture relates to 3 Nephi 24:10 when Christ repeats the words of Malachi over tithing. The important part being that we need to test the Lord. Thus to have that desire we have to do not just think or wish but act. If we want to believe that the word of wisdom is true we must try it. If we want to believe the words of the prophets we must try them. That is the desire of which he speaks. At least that is what I think.
I was thinking about that with the conference. Oh how I wish my faith was stronger then it truly is some days. I've learned though in moments of crisis or panic, that choosing to act as if I had enough faith brings the faith that is required to do what needs to be done. So often on my mission, I don't know what to do, to say, or to be. I just act and pray for the best. I'm happy to say that is has brought the best most of the time. I hope this is a principle I can continue to use and to apply. You can as well. If you are doubting just act in faith. I implore you to do so!
I hope that made some sense.
In case I didn't say, we did have conference here in Nickerie which was a great blessing for the members because they didn't have to travel 3 1/2 hours to see it. We had a great attendence and besides the bit of stress I got as Branch President for getting it set up it was a great time.
I loved all the talks but a few stuck out to me. Elder Scott's on the scriptures, Elder Anderson's on Children (Have children ya'll), and I loved Elder Cornish's talk on prayer. All were good and I can't wait to re- and reread them in the future.
I love you all and I continue to pray for you! I hope you will choose faith in everything you do!
Love
Elder Nathan John Nielson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment